I hate Almonds

Almonds are gross. 
Did you know in California they pronounce almonds like amonds?

They just take out the l. I don't know about you but this bothers me. But California produces a lot more almonds than Kansas so maybe they know better.

Anyways, I hate almonds.

I have a weird blood sugar thing that is currently thought by my doctors to be hypoglycemia, meaning that I have low blood sugar. When I don't eat the right things or often enough bad things happen and I get pretty sick.

In an effort to get my blood sugar under control I have been trying really hard to adjust my diet so that my blood sugar crashes are few and far between. They key to this is protein (eating protein with whatever else I consume).

Last January my doctor told me that I should start eating a lot of nuts, beans, and carrying a package of almonds around with me to get the needed protein. She also told me to rely on things like jerkey, hard boiled eggs, and dairy products to get protein.

I don't like nuts, I don't like beans (I am trying to change my mind on the beans but it hasn't quite happened yet. Maybe someday I'll actually like beans).

I happen to be a big fan of animal products. AKA meat, cheese, milk, eggs, those things.

Here's the deal, some people don't think it's okay to eat these things that help me maintain my health and blood sugar level. In fact, today, Oct. 2, they took a day to tell the world how awful we are for consuming animals and they all fasted in remembrance of the animals killed to feed people like me.

And guess what?

I don't feel bad.

You know why?

Because no matter how hard I try, I still hate almonds.


Okay that was insensitive.

The real reason I don't feel bad for these people's fasting pain is because while they think that I shouldn't eat animals or animal products, I would have a pretty rough life without beef, pork, chicken, eggs, and cheese.

We are all allowed to make our own eating decisions based on what is best for our health. I choose to eat animal products because that is what is best and healthy for me.

I am so thankful for the farmers and ranchers who produce our nations protein and animal products because the food they put on my plate makes me happier and healthier.

I also know that our farmers take incredibly good care of livestock from conception to harvest. I truly appreciate the tradition, dedication and incredibly hard work it takes to maintain a healthy herd that will provide quality meals for people all around the world.

Today I am so thankful for all that agriculture provides. Because for me, animal agriculture helps provide a healthy and happy lifestyle.

But I'm also thankful for the almond (or amond whatever you prefer to call them) farmers too, because for someone else they are helping provide them with the nourishment they need.

Off to eat a meaty dinner,

Nicole



Take my almonds, please. 

Labels: , , , ,